Friday, March 1, 2013

A Conferencing We Will Go!

The American Alliance of Museum's Annual Meeting is coming. What will you do to prepare? Prepare!?! What!?! As a graduate student tadpole years ago, I didn't think anything about preparation. I have since learned a little preparation goes a long way. But don't get me wrong, I am not expert. I will, however, give a little advice about some things to keep in mind. If you have heard and read all this before, please pass your wisdom to a friend.

In my tadpole days, as a biology graduate student, I thought of conferencing as a way to commune with all that was exciting and current in the field. I thought I would listen to cool ideas and meet interesting people. I didn't know that I should be more active in my communing, listening and meeting.

So six years later, with 7+ conferences and one AAM conference behind me, here are a few tips I learned from career advisors, and friends:

Order Business Cards ASAP
At first I thought this was such a waste because I was only going to be in graduate school for another year. The future of most of the 250 cards with a UW logo would be the Seattle recycling bin. But, business cards are a type of currency at conferences. It is how new people remember you, and how you remember new people. I would also encourage paying for 2-sided printing. Adding your skills, or areas of expertise to the back is a good way for people to know what you can do before they read your resume or see your LinkedIn profile.

Make a LinkedIn Profile
If you haven't done it, DO IT! I was slow to accept LinkedIn. I didn't think it would do anything for me, and it would be just another site where I had a username and password. I thought I would only give my credentials via printed resume to potential employers. But life is increasingly cyber-connected and not paper-based. Also, when you give someone your business card, they might Google you or look you up on LinkedIn.

Use the AAM JobHQ
You can create an account and upload your resume. I have never been contacted by a potential employer, but it doesn't hurt to do this. You never know, it could help.

The Thesis (and Yourself) in Under 20 Seconds
People will ask about: where you are from, what you do, what your thesis is about, what you are interested in, and where you see yourself going in the future. Practice answers with a friend until you feel comfortable giving short answers that are true to who you are. Getting nervous at conferences is natural and this will help a little.

Do Not Sit With People You Know (at least 1/2 the time)
It is also natural to stick with people you know when you enter a space swimming with strangers. But in order to make connections, it helps to branch out and sit next to people you don't know. When you attend lunch, a session, or a cocktail event say hello to the people around you, introduce yourself, and ask them about the conference. You never know when the person next to you might be from a museum you admire, a state you want to move to, or someone who could be a conference buddy.

Clothes
To buy or not to buy...that is the question. On a graduate student budget it is hard to find extra cash to spend on new business attire. I do not recommend buying a new suit unless you know you will be wearing it to many future job interviews, and you suspect your future job will require it. I would, however, make sure the slacks, long-sleeve shirts, skirts, blouses, etc...that you have in your closet, are clean, spotless, fit well, and are ironed. Make a list of what you need or don't have, and shop for those items first. If you wish for new ensembles, I recommend the Nordstrom Rack in Downtown Seattle, and consignment shops such as Alexandra's in Downtown Seattle, and Le Frock in Capitol Hill. Sorry gents, I don't have store recommendations for you.

Hope to see you all at AAM!

Patty M.



No comments:

Post a Comment